Saturday, August 15, 2009

Holla for Challah

First..for those not in the know....jwmagazine.com gives this explanation of challah

It’s More Than Bread Baking
According to the Talmud, the mitzvah of challah baking for Shabbat was one of three commandments assigned to women. (The other two: going to the mikvah and lighting Shabbat candles.) The word challah does not refer to the bread that is eaten, but to a small piece of dough, taken from the rest of the batch, that is burned separately under the broiler and is not consumed. This piece is said to symbolize the portion given to the priests at the time of the Temple in Jerusalem.
Tradition tells us that when a woman “takes challah” and makes the appropriate blessing, she elevates the dough and acknowledges that all her family’s sustenance comes as a gift from God.


I worked at an Orthodox Ashkanzic synagogue (shul) for almost 10 years. During this time, I came to know about the best kosher food available in Charleston (South Carolina). First, there were three kosher caters in town. Marci Rosenberg, Helen Goldberg and Pita King. For sweets, Helen Goldberg was the best. Marci's challah is the best ever. I happen to know that she has been offered much for that recipe, there is no other that can compare. However, each caterer has their own "known for" product.

First and foremost - Challah-- go to the JCC and buy tons of it. It is to die for!! As a gentile, of course it is not as significantly important to me as it is Jewish people, but I do love that bread. You will not find anything comparable to it and you will not find a recipe that comes close to tasting like it -believe me, I have tried. When I make my monthly trips home to Charleston, I make sure my parents have picked some up for me to bring home!

Now on to kosher food in Charleston:



Helen Goldberg - noodle kugle. This kugle has cream cheese, cinamon, some kinda cheese and other stuff in it. The recipe of course is a secret. But I have been known to have my mom pick me up some of this and freeze it so I can make it last as long as possible. It is that good! I have searched the net for simliar recipes but have not been able to find anything that compares. Helen does good ole fashion southern Jewish cooking at it's best! Love it!



Marci Rosenberg- Her known for recipe is the challah. Her other food is great too but in a worldly fashion. It does not have the southern flair most people are use to (or should I say those that live in the south) but if you want to travel up north via your tastebuds, let her cater some stuff for you! You won't be disappointed.

Pita King - love, love, love it! I feel like I am being tastebudily transported to New York when I eat from there. I have had several items from the menu and all have been fantastic. Plus it's Kosher!!

Do yourself and your soul a favor- eat kosher in Charleston!

No comments: