Wednesday, August 19, 2009

it's just tea...or is it??

for god's sake we are in the south people!Today,I stopped my daughter by dunkin donuts for a cappucino blast. That doesn't appeal to me in the least as it is WAY too sweet and ice creamy for me...so I see a sign that says something to the effect that they now have tea and its the best ever. Well, being southern and you know us southerners are fanatical about our sweet tea...I could not resist tasting the best tea ever. So I ordered a large. I pulled up, awaiting my coveted new best ever tea ever so patiently. Finally it arrives. As I unwrap the dainty pink straw with the utmost anticipation I size up my sweet best ever tea. The color is just right - not too dark, sort of light, almost a clear...well..tea color...the ice cubes are in abundance, the cup is clear and pretty darn cool...I insert straw and take a big honkin sup...and...DISAPPOINTMENT! As I gag on the unsweetness of it all, the sodajerk is watching me..and I look at her with certain disdain..."is this sweet?" I choked out to her. She looks at me like I have one eye in my the center of my forehead and replies it is. I'm sure she could tell by the look on my face I didn't believe her because she then breaks out into this long speech about how all their tea is::::GASP::: unsweetened and they pump sugar in it when you ask for a sweet tea. What the.....that ain't how you make sweet tea down south sugah....its brewed with the sugar in it..then steeped with the sugar in it...innocently she asks if she can add some sugar to it;I'm seriously doubtful that it will help but I let her. She asks if I'd like to taste it before I leave, and in my deep disappointment I tell her no because I am sure that whatever she has done to it, it will not be as it should be. I pull around to wait for my daughter to come out.(I was not allowed to go in with her, as I would cramp her style as she chats with her friends in there) and wait. The tea tastes like tree syrup now. And then I thought..you know what..I worked hard for that $3 or so I just paid for this tree sap...heellll no...so, when she comes out, I implore her to take it back in and get it like it started, I should have been thankful for that barely sweet compared to the end result. After drinking 20 or so sips of it, I became accustomed to it. It may not be so bad after all. It's possible I may just buy some again. Maybe.

No comments: